3.30.2014

The Long Awakening ~ Review

The Long Awakening
                 a memoir
By Lindsey O'Connor

Imagine your life if you lost a part of it.  You couldn't remember you were excited to welcome a newborn child into your life.  Worse yet the first month and a half of your child's life would be something you would never experience.  How do you recover from something like that and what's more how do you recapture what should have been?

On August 30, 2002, Lindsey gave birth to her daughter.   But what should have been a time of joy and celebration soon becomes an long and lingering battle.  Complications from pregnancy send Lindsey into a 47 day long coma.

But awakening from the coma was not the end of her ordeal - she needed to relearn basic functions.  What you or I would take for granted was lost.  And worst of all Lindsey seemed to have a detachment from her emotions.  This is Lindsey's journey to recovering what she had lost and to reconnect with her family as both wife and mother.

When one hears about someone in a coma waking-up one doesn't necessary realize what the recovery after awakening is like.  Lindsey can't even breathe on her own.  I think when she compares having a bit of a memory arise being similar to coming to the end of a chapter in a book and not beimg able to continue on an interesting comparison.

Take a journey of awakening when you read The Long Awakening.

March is Brain Injury Awareness Month and as a result of this the publisher Revell has provided me with a copy of this book in exchange with my honest review. 

About The Long Awakening

The riveting true story of a life-threatening coma, a miraculous awakening, and the long quest to regain what was lost.
The day our baby came into the world was the day I left. A day that began all smiles and excitement and anticipation and joy ended with running and panic and blood and tears. And then coma.

I lay suspended in the deep, my newborn unknown. Nothingness. Layers where dark pulled from below, light called from above, and me, trapped in between, longing to break the surface. 

To live.

Forty-seven days later when I first saw my husband's face leaning close to me, I knew where, and who, I was. But other things took much longer to know. Learning to restitch life--and love--when everything's changed, and finding who we are afterward, can be the longest journey of all.

I'm Lindsey O'Connor, and this is the story of my long awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.
~ Blooming with Books